The Nevada Veteran Memorial Cemetery Advisory Committee’s (North & South) are in place to advise the Cemetery Superintendents, NDVS Deputy Director, and the NDVS Director on the operations and management of each facility. We are required to have them in place per statute.
NRS 417.230 Advisory Committees for Veterans Cemeteries: Creation; members; terms; officers; meetings; compensation of members; consultation with Director.
1. There are hereby created the Advisory Committee for a Veterans Cemetery in Northern Nevada and the Advisory Committee for a Veterans Cemetery in Southern Nevada, each consisting of seven members as follows:
(a) One member of the Senate, appointed by the Majority Leader of the Senate.
(b) One member of the Assembly, appointed by the Speaker of the Assembly.
(c) Five members of veterans’ organizations recognized nationally or in this State, appointed by the Governor.
2. The members of the Committees shall serve terms of 2 years.
3. Each Committee shall annually elect a Chair and a Vice Chair from among its members.
4. Each Committee shall meet at least 4 times a year.
5. Any legislative member of a Committee who is not a candidate for reelection or who is defeated for reelection continues to serve after the general election until the next regular or special session of the Legislature convenes.
6. While engaged in the work of the Committee, each member of each Committee is entitled to receive the per diem allowances and travel expenses provided for state officers and employees generally.
7. The Director shall consult with each Committee regarding the establishment, maintenance and operation of the veterans’ cemetery for which the Committee was created.