• Jun 14, 2024
  • 2:22 AM

New Info on Eviction Moratorium

UPDATE: What veterans should know if they are a renter or a landlord during COVID-19

On Tuesday, August 3, 2021, the CDC issued a new order that temporary halts evictions in counties seeing high levels or increasing cases of COVID-19. This new order targets areas where the virus is rapidly spreading. The CDC states, “mass evictions would likely make the transmission of COVID-19, and its Delta variant, worse.” The information below is aimed at providing assistance information to Nevada veterans who either own property (as a landlord) or are renting.


Federal COVID-19 relief funds are set aside through the CARES Housing Assistance Program (CHAP) to assist those negatively impacted by the pandemic. CHAP funds are specific to the payment of rent, rent late fees and utilities. Please visit the program’s additional administrators for information about the Washoe and Clark County jurisdictions. The Nevada Rural Housing Authority is the administrator of these funds in Carson City, Churchill, Douglas, Elko, Esmeralda, Eureka, Humboldt, Lander, Lincoln, Lyon, Mineral, Nye, Pershing, Storey, and White Pine counties. The Nevada Housing Division is also accepting CHAP applications. CHAP payments are made directly to the landlord!


If you’re a veteran facing eviction, there are two things you need to do right now to be eligible for the protection under the new CDC order.

  1. If you haven’t already, download the CDC declaration form. Click HERE, then click the first box, “FAQs Facing eviction or at-risk of eviction.” Fill out the form. Sign it. Provide a copy to your landlord/property owner. Keep a copy for records. It is recommended you send your declaration via USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate. The cost is $7.85 and includes Proof of Delivery.
  2. Also, again, if you haven’t already, you must apply for CARES Housing Assistance Program (CHAP) funds. In Nevada, Governor Steve Sisolak signed AB 486 into law. It is aimed at protecting at-risk tenants who have applied for but have not yet received the funds. Currently, there is a large backlog of applications winding their way through the system. These funds will pay rent, utilities, and other housing costs to keep people in their homes. 

The VA is ready to assist veterans facing housing crises by directing them to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s Rental Assistance Finder or appropriate VA programs.

Those in need of immediate housing assistance should call the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans at 1-877-4AID VET or (877) 424-3838. Calls are answered 24-hours a day,

7-days a week. Callers are linked to VA Housing specialists in their area.

For veterans in the court system, they must make sure they respond to any eviction-related paperwork from their landlord or the Court. Also, when they file an answer with the Court, they should make sure they include an explanation of their circumstances: the effect COVID-19 has had on their employment, the status of their CHAP application, whether or not their landlord was helpful with the application process, etc. With a valid explanation, the court may stay (temporarily suspend) the proceedings. Failure to respond to court eviction paperwork will not make the problem go away. It is also recommended veterans request that their case be handled through mediation.

Some statewide legal resources include: