• Apr 21, 2024
  • 7:58 AM

Social Services

Nevada Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) is one of the largest departments in state government. The Division of Welfare and Supportive Services (DWSS) provides services and resources to Nevadans with low income.

Specific programs are available for those who qualify, such as:

Food Assistance

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) – Also known as “Food Stamps," SNAP is designed to help low-income families buy nutritious food from approved stores. To apply visit: https://accessnevada.dwss.nv.gov/

Medical Assistance 

  • Medicaid – Medicaid helps cover the cost of medical services for individuals and families with low income and individuals receiving public assistance benefits. Apply today at: https://accessnevada.dwss.nv.gov/

Cash Assistance 

  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) –  TANF is designed to provide temporary cash assistance for needy families to care for dependent children in their own homes or in the home of relative caregivers. TANF provides financial and support services such as childcare, transportation, and other services to low-income families with children. To apply visit: https://accessnevada.dwss.nv.gov/
  • Child Care Assistance – The Child Care Program assists low-income families receiving temporary public assistance and those transitioning from public assistance in obtaining childcare so they can work. To apply visit: https://dwss.nv.gov/Care/Childcare/
  • Women, Infant, and Children (WIC) Assistance – WIC provides nutritious foods, nutrition education, breastfeeding support, and referrals to health and other social services to participants at no charge. WIC serves low-income pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women, and infants and children up to age 5 who are at nutrition risk. To apply, find the closet clinic by visiting: https://nevadawic.org/clinics/. Then call that clinic for instruction on how to apply since different locations have varying availability.
  • Energy Assistance (EAP) – The Energy Assistance Program assists qualifying low-income Nevadans with the cost of home energy. Applications are evaluated year-round or until funding is exhausted. Eligible households receive an annual, one-time per year benefit, customarily paid directly to their energy provider. Application can be found at: https://dwss.nv.gov/Energy/2_Apply_for_Assistance/

Child Support Enforcement Program (CSEP) Nevada’s CSEP provides five basic services to both TANF and non-TANF families: 1) parent location; 2) establishing paternity for children born outside of marriage; 3) establishing financial and medical support orders; 4) enforcing support orders; and 5) collecting and distributing support payments. In providing these services, the birthright of children is established, support is secured for children missing one or both parents, and the burden on Nevada taxpayers is reduced by offsetting the need for public assistance.

Print the application here: https://dwss.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/dwssnv/gov/content/Support/4000-EC_Application%20for%20Child%20Support%20Services%20(2).pdf

Mail the application to:
Child Support Enforcement Program
Division of Welfare and Supportive Services
1470 College Parkway
Carson City, NV 89706

NEVADA 2-1-1 is a program of the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and administered by Money Management International (MMI), is committed to helping Nevadans connect with the services they need. Whether by phone or internet, our goal is to present accurate, well-organized and easy-to-find information from state and local health and human services programs.

WHAT IS 211? 2-1-1 is a special telephone number reserved in Canada and the United States to provide information and referrals to health, human and social service organizations. Dialing 2-1-1 in almost every part of the United States will connect you to human and social services for your area.

2-1-1 services include places to find emergency food, housing and emergency shelter locations, children’s services, support for seniors, older persons, and people with disabilities, and mental health and counseling services, among many others. Through 2-1-1, you can find assistance for a variety of services, such as:

Addiction counseling
Affordable housing
Alzheimer’s assistance
Child care
Emergency Food
Dental & Medical Healthcare
Drug Abuse Treatment
Homeless services
Senior services
Suicide prevention
Volunteer opportunities

Visit www.MoneyManagement.org for more information on these organizations.