- Benefits and Services
- Suicide Prevention
- Speakers Bureau
December 18, 2017
Mari St. Martin – firstname.lastname@example.org
CARSON CITY, NV – Governor Brian Sandoval and Attorney General Adam Laxalt today announced the final funding approval of the Battle Born Memorial to Nevada’s Fallen Warriors in Carson City on the Capitol Complex. Governor Sandoval, Attorney General Laxalt, and Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske approved the funds which was the sole agenda item for today’s Board of Examiners meeting. The project will break ground this summer and is expected to be complete by November 11, 2018, Veterans Day.
“The Battle Born Memorial will be a sanctuary where our heroes’ stories can be shared and remembered. Etched for eternity, the monument will bear the name of every fallen warrior from our state as an everlasting memorial to their service and sacrifice,” said Governor Brian Sandoval. “Nevada will never forget the sacrifice of our servicemen and women and their families. I know this memorial will serve as a lasting tribute to those who defend our nation and dedicate their lives in the name of freedom and country.”
“As an Iraq war veteran, I stand with millions of other Americans in eternal gratitude for the departed’s military service to this state and country,” said Attorney General Adam Laxalt. “My office is honored to contribute these settlement funds towards a monument that will serve as a lasting symbol of the courage and valor of those who fought and gave their lives for our country, and will continue to support and assist Nevada’s military and veterans wherever possible.”
During the 2013 Legislative Session, the Legislature approved Senate Bill 230 authorizing the memorial. At its June 2017 meeting, the Nevada Veterans Service Commission voted unanimously on the design of the memorial, and will be spearheading its construction. The total cost of the memorial is estimated at $450,000. The Nevada Department of Veterans Services previously committed $150,000 to the project. The Office of the Nevada Attorney General has pledged $300,000 in non-taxpayer settlement monies to fund the monument, a request that earned unanimous, bipartisan approval from the Interim Finance Committee and approved by the BOE today. The settlement funds are from a multistate settlement reached in May 2017 with Johnson & Johnson regarding certain over-the-counter drugs.